Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Uh Oh...


It has just been announced that Kate Hudson is officially attached to Rob Marshall's musical-extravaganza, Nine. Now, I'm thinking the same thing that you're thinking: Kate Hudson is a talentless and vacuous blonde who will drown next to the acting heavyweights who also grace the line-up; but, what if she does a good job? Huh? Maybe she'll be amazing. I mean, when I was 14 years old I watched Almost Famous and decided that I needed to leave home, become a rock journalist, and fall in love with a slu-... groupie named Penny Lane. I loved her. I adored her. When she said, "What kind of beer?" my heart broke into millions of little pieces and has never fully recovered. Whatever you want to say about her, the girl has charm and presence. At least, I believe that she does. Who knows, maybe acting with Nicole Kidman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Marillon Cotillard, and Sophia Loren will force her to play up to their level. Good Lord that cast list makes me all kinds of happy. Rob Marshall is a very talented guy who pulled a great performance out of Renee Zellweger in Chicago, and I had absolutely no faith in her whatsoever; so, maybe he'll be able to do the same with Kate Hudson. To sum it up: she showed great promise in Almost Famous; she was wonderfully charming and funny in Le Divorce; and, despite the movie itself being kind of crappy, she was able to turn in a decent performance in The Skeleton Key. With a great director and fantastic cast she might just do a great job.


Oh... crap... wait. She has to sing as well, doesn't she? Hmph.

Now, not only is she joining this impressive group of people, but unlike the rest of them, her character has been created for the movie and wasn't featured in the Broadway musical it's based on. For those of you who don't know, or didn't read my colleague's previous post, Nine follows famous film director Guido Contini (Day-Lewis) as he struggles with the pressures of his relationships with his wife, lover, muse, agent, and mother.

Rob Marshall's statement as of yesterday (Mon. July 14th):
"[Hudson's] revelatory skills as a singer and a dancer lead to the creation of the role."

If he has faith, I have faith.

Thoughts?

[Source LA Times]

- Popcorn

No comments: